Franco Muggia, M.D.
Professor of Medicine (Oncology), NYU School of Medicine
Co-chair: Gynecologic Cancer Working Group
Member: Phase I/II Working Group and Breast Cancer Program
Early Drug Development has been the major focus of my professional career. Lately it has encompassed activities in two broad areas: 1) working as an investigator in phase I/II trials with anticancer drugs, particularly in breast and gynecologic cancers; and 2) mentoring professional colleagues in clinical and translational aspects of new drug trials. From my extensive background in past collaborative clinical trials, I am keenly aware of the key role for a successful academic career to make research commitments towards institutional efforts in National Cancer Institute-sponsored early drug development, to collaborative activities with researchers in other similarly committed institutions worldwide, and to investigator-initiated proposals with compounds emanating from the pharmaceutical industry. My continuing publications reflect, in addition to these mentoring activities, awareness of the importance of timely scientific publications and exchange of ideas in completing the ‘feedback loop’ from bench to bedside and back to bench, that lay the foundations for eventual therapeutic breakthroughs.
Honors and Awards:
- 1992, P.I., Bristol Myers Squibb Foundation Award to University of Southern California
- 2000-present, Leader of adult treatment Editorial Board, PDQ
- 2011, Lifetime Achievement Award by the New York Cancer Consortium
- 2011, Merit Award from the NCI for Editor-in-Chief, Adult Treatment Board, PDQ
- 2013, Keynote speaker at New Perspectives in Breast and Gynaecopathology, Nice, November 28-30
- 2013, Keynote speaker at Breast Cancer Day, SASS Foundation, Uniondale, NY, September 28